Laurie and I like riding our Gold Wing motorcycle. But it is easy to get into a rut and just ride the same roads. So to force ourselves to ride to places we would not normally visit we have a goal to visit and photograph all 100 North Carolina courthouses within 1 year. This blog is about one of those visits.
Many NC courthouses were added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979. The nomination form has some interesting facts about the various courthouse styles over the years.
Wikipedia says the following about the courthouse:
Camden County Courthouse is an historic county courthouse in Camden, an unincorporated area in Camden County, North Carolina, USA. The courthouse was built in 1847; it is a single-storey brick building in the Greek Revival style. It features a pedimented porch and large windows.
It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972.
The North Carolina History Project lists the following information for this county:
Camden County, with a large amount of water and wetlands, is a popular attraction for North Carolinians and other vacationers. Numerous boaters, swimmers, naturalists, and fishermen visit the county annually to enjoy the waters in Camden. In addition, many outdoorsmen hunt in Camden, for the county has the largest turkey population in North Carolina. One of Camden’s most renowned wetlands is the Great Dismal Swamp, a 175-square mile (100,000-acre) preservation located on the North Carolina and Virginia Border.
Geologists have speculated that the Great Dismal Swamp is one of the youngest wetlands on the North American continent. The Moseley map indicates that colonists knew of the swamp as early as 1733. Because of the swamp’s mysterious allure, several literary figures have referenced the wetland in their works. “The Lake of the Dismal Swamp”, Thomas Moore’s popular 1803 ghost ballad, sparked a tourist boom in the early nineteenth century. In addition, Harriet Beecher Stowe’s Dred: A Tale of the Dismal Swamp (1856) and Henry Wadsworth Longfellow’s poem “The Slave in the Dismal Swamp” (1842) were both tales of slaves who had escaped to the Dismal Swamp before the Civil War. The Dismal Swamp Canal, a vital trading route that connects the Chesapeake Bay to the Albemarle Sound, was constructed in the late 1700s. The canal, now owned by the federal government, makes up a section of the Intracoastal Waterway. Presently, the Great Dismal Swamp is the most important sanctuary for black bears in the Eastern United States; moreover, its serves as a vital breeding ground for songbirds who return from their migrations to Central and South America.
The earliest Native Americans in the region, the Weapemeoc and Tuscarora, had much influence in present-day Camden County before Europeans arrived in great numbers in the mid-seventeenth century. The first colonists were Virginians and other northerners who journeyed down the Pasquotank River into Camden. Most of the settlers noticed the rich soil and the potential for agriculture production, and several farmers took advantage of the natural irrigation. The earliest farmers in Camden established farms around the Arenuse, Joy’s, Raymond’s, and Sawyer’s Creeks. Presently, nearly a third of all land in the county is farmland, and some agricultural products include cotton, corn, barley, soybeans, and potatoes.
The Camden County courthouse, established in 1782, was not the first site to hold court. Joseph Jones was ordered by the state legislature to arrange a site before the courthouse was authorized by the county council. Jones designated a plot of land on his plantation to serve as a makeshift court location. The present courthouse was originally built and established in 1847, and it is a historical site in Camden. Another historic locale in the county includes Shiloh Baptist Church (1729), the oldest Baptist church in North Carolina. Additionally, the Sanderlin-Prichard House (1851) and Milford (ca. 1746) are historic houses in Camden, and many historians believe Milford to be the oldest two-story brick house in the state.
Sir Charles Pratt, the first Earl of Camden was Chief Justice of Common Pleas in British Parliament during the American Revolution. Pratt, a firm defendant of colonial independence, admired the bravery of the colonies as they stood against the British crown, and Camden County was named in his honor. The original seat of government was known as Jonesborough, but in 1840 the city become known as Camden. Other communities in the county include Belcross, South Mills, and Shiloh.
Nice quiet location. I really liked the parking area across the street under a large tree.
Select a place from the dropdown to high light that place on the map.
You may be interested in the next article, Carteret County Courthouse in Beaufort, North Carolina.
The previous article is Caldwell County Courthouse in Lenoir, North Carolina.
Subscribe for Updates
© Bobby Daniel