Peter Daniel and Mary Jane VanHoose
Table of Contents
- 1. Thank You for Visiting my Site
- 2. Quick Facts
- 3. Establishing Peter Daniel's Lineage
- 4. Establishing Mary Jane VanHoose's Lineage
- 5. Marriage
- 6. Their Life Together
- 7. Peter Daniel v. The United States
- 8. Sources
- 9. To Do List
Thank You for Visiting my Site
- The chart at the top is interactive. See the legend describing the various icons and their functions.
- If I state a fact I can substantiate there will be a photo or reference to a source. Almost every photo can be clicked to view a large image or in the case of census records, the whole census page.
- If I state a fact with no image or reference then I have not yet personally checked that fact, but received it from someone else.
- Every reference number can be clicked to view an image of the reference and that image can often be clicked to view a larger image.
- And last, please leave comments or contact me (the button in the footer of every page).
He married Mary Jane VanHoose on 10 Sep 1852 in Johnson Co., KY at James VanHoose's Home. (3) They had eight children together between 1853 and 1877. Mary Jane VanHoose was born in 1834 (4) and died about 1882 at about the age of 48.
He then married Emaline "Emma" Borders about 1884 (5) and they had two children together between 1885 and 1888.
Peter died 11 May 1912 (6) at the age of 72.
These things were happening in the world around 1833:
1830 First Steam railroad to carry passengers and freight was the Baltimore & Ohio. Mormon church is formed by Joseph Smith in the US. Congress passed the Indian Removal Act to remove all Indians to west of the Mississippi.
1831 Nat Turner, a pious slave preacher, leads unsuccessful field slave rebellion in Virginia which claimed the lives of 60 whites before it was crushed by the militia. A hundred blacks were killed during the 2 month search for Turner who was finally captured and hanged.
1833 Balloon-frame houses, made of 2 x 4s instead of hefty barn-style beams, were invented by Chicago carpenter Augustine Taylor. Despite critics' predictions that prairie winds would blow them away, the houses proved sturdier than conventional designs. Within two decades frame houses built with mass-produced nails and precut lumber swept across the country. The National Road reaches into central Ohio. Described by one traveler as 'a broad, gravel-paved highway ... we are seldom out of sight, as we t
1836 The Battle of the Alamo.
Establishing Peter Daniel's Lineage
Prior to 1850 the census does not list family names other than the head of the household so it becomes more difficult to link a person to their parents. However in this case land records are our friend. Isham Daniel and Mary Borders are a well documented couple and Peter was one of their last children. There are several deed transactions documented for Isham Daniel that clearly link our Peter and several of his siblings to their deceased father Isham Daniel. (7)
Peter's father Isham died before 1850. In the 1850 census, (8) Peter is 17 years old and living with his widowed mother along with his brother Wyatt A. All his other siblings had left home by that time. In the marriage bond (9) for Peter Daniel and Mary Jane Vanhoose, it states that Valentine Vanhoose is the father of Mary Jane and Polly Daniel is the mother of Peter. This clearly connects this couple with their parents. Remember that Polly was a very common nickname for Mary.
Establishing Mary Jane VanHoose's Lineage
Jemima Borders and Peter's mother Mary Borders are sisters, therefore Peter and Mary Jane are 1st cousins.
Polly Daniel is listed on the marriage bond because Peter's father, Isham Daniel died around 1847.
Their Life Together
- Valentine Daniel was born on 18 Dec 1853 (14) , died on 14 Mar 1928 at the age of 74 and is buried in the Rice Family Cemetery (15) He married Mary J. "Dove" VanHoose on 19 Feb 1874. (16)
- Melissa Allice Daniel was born 16 Dec 1856. (17) Melissa is not on the 1860 census so I assume she died young.
- Isom V. Daniel was born 12 June 1858 (18) and died 1 Mar 1939 (19) at the age of 80. He was buried at the Daniel Cemetery at Whitehouse, Kentucky. He was a retired lumber mill employee. He married Martha Julia VanHoose on 13 Dec 1877
- General Farmer Daniel, my 2nd Great Grandfather, was born on 8 Jan 1861 (20) and died on 21 Dec 1944. (20) He married Mary Victoria Bond on 24 Mar 1881 (21)
- Peter Lewis Daniel was born May 1862 (22) and died 21 Mar 1930. (23) He is buried in Catlettsburg, Kentucky. Peter married Emma Daniel, his 1st cousin in 1884. (22) (24)
- John J. Daniel was born Mar 1867 (25) and died 10 Jun 1933. (26) He married Josephine Stafford on 5 Apr 1889. Josephine was the daughter of Emaline Borders Stafford who Peter married about 1884 after both their spouses died. There is no blood relationship between John J. and Josephine. (27)
- Major Daniel was born May 1870 (28) and died 3 Mar 1940. (29) He is buried at the Old Ward Cemetery, Johnson County. He married Gabrilla Meade in 1896. (28) She died 30 Apr 1925 (30) from complications of amputation and being crushed by a train. She is also buried in the Old Ward Cemetery.
- Rutherford B. H. Daniel was born 14 Mar 1877 (31) , died 2 Aug 1949 and was buried in the Ashland Cemetery, Ashland, Kentucky. (32) He married Clista Ward. He registered for the WWI draft at the age of 42 on 12 Sep 1918 (33) (34)
On 30 Oct 1863 Peter and his brother Wyatt A. were registered for the Union Army draft for the Civil War. Peter was 30 and Wyatt A. 27.
In the 1870 census Peter is 37 and Mary is 36. They have added General Farmer Daniel, my 2nd Great Grandfather, Peter and John. Their real estate is valued at $2000 and their personal property at $1000.
In 1880 Peter is 47 and Mary is 46. Mary says her father was born in NC. The have added Major A. and Rutherford B. H. Mary's mother, Jemima Borders, is living with them as a widow, is 74 years old and can not read or write. This supports Valentine VanHoose dieing on 12 Dec 1878 (I have no proof yet). The census also states that Jemima's father was born in England. Living a couple of houses over is their son Isom Daniel and Peter's brother, Wyatt A.
I have not found a death date for Mary Jane but by the 1900 census she is dead and Peter has been married to Emaline Borders for 17 years. He is 67 years old with a birth date of May 1833. He says his father was born in North Carolina but in the 1880 census he said his father was born in Virginia, which is correct. He is consistent in saying his mother was born in Virginia. Rutherford B. H. from his first wife is living with them along with two children he has with Emaline, Sonomia and Sarah. His stepson John C. Stafford, a teacher, is living with them.
Just looking at the ages of everyone involved, he fathered the two children when he was 55 and 57. Emaline would have been 42 and 44.
In 1910 the two daughters are still living with them and Sonomia is now married to Everett Spears and they have a son, Herbert Spears that is 1 year 10 months old. The step son John Stafford is still living with them at 32 years of age. Thomas Osborne, age 13, is living with them also. I don't know how he fits into the family. Living next door is one of his sons, Major A. with 5 children of his own.
Peter died 11 May 1912 at 79 years of age.
Peter Daniel v. The United States
List of All Sources Referenced Above by Number
Some of these may have been displayed in the text, but most were not
(1) 1900 Census for Peter Daniel (Partial, Click for Full Document)
(2) 1852 Peter Daniel and Mary Jane VanHoose Marriage (Partial, Click for Full Document)
(3) 1852 Marriage Bond for Peter Daniel and Mary Jane VanHoose
(4) 1880 Census for Peter Daniel (Partial, Click for Full Document)
(5) 1900 Census for Peter Daniel with 2nd Wife and Children (Partial, Click for Full Document)
(6) 1912 Peter Daniel Death Certificate
(7) Paintsville, Johnson Co., KY Deed Book D, Page 309, Isham Daniel and Several of his Children
(8) 1850 Census for Peter Daniel (Partial, Click for Full Document)
(9) 1852 Marriage Bond for Peter Daniel and Mary Jane VanHoose, Marriage Books, Johnson County, Kentucky.
(10) Big Sandy Valley by William Ely 1887
(11) Big Sandy Valley by William Ely 1887
(12) 1821 Valentine VanHoose and Jemima Borders Marriage, Courthouse, Prestonsburg, Floyd Co., KY. Marriage Book 1
(13) 1850 Census for Valentine VanHoose (Partial, Click for Full Document)
(14) 1853 Valentine Daniel Birth Record (Partial, Click for Full Document)
(15) 1928 Valentine Daniel Death Certificate
(16) 1874 Valentine Daniel and Mary Jane VanHoose Marriage
(17) 1856 Birth Record for Melissa Allis Daniel (Partial, Click for Full Document)
(18) 1858 Isom Daniel Birth Record (Partial, Click for Full Document)
(19) 1939 Isom Daniel Death Certificate
(20) 1944 General Farmer Daniel Death Certificate
(21) 1881 General Farmer Daniel and Mary Victoria Bond Marriage Certificate
(22) 1900 Census for Peter Lewis Daniel (Partial, Click for Full Document)
(23) 1930 Peter Lewis Death Certificate
(24) Page 321 Appalachia Crossroads, Volume 1, Clayton R. Cox, 1977 for Peter Lewis Daniel (Partial, Click for Full Document)
(25) 1900 Census for John J. Daniel (Partial, Click for Full Document)
(26) 1933 John J. Daniel Death Certificate
(27) Page 321 Appalachia Crossroads, Volume 1, Clayton R. Cox, 1977 for John J. Daniel (Partial, Click for Full Document)
(28) 1900 Census for Major Daniel (Partial, Click for Full Document)
(29) 1940 Major A. Daniel Obituary
(30) 1925 Gabrilla Meade Death Certificate
(31) 1940 Rutherford B. H. Daniel Death Certificate
(32) Rutherford B. H Daniel and Clista Ward Headstone Ashland, Kentucky
(33) 1918 Rutherford B. H. Daniel WWI Draft Registration
(34) 1918 Rutherford B. H. Daniel WWI Draft Registration
To Do List
- Where are Peter and Mary buried?
- When did Valentine VanHoose die?
- When did Mary Jane VanHoose die? Death Certificate ?
- Is there a marriage record for Peter and Emaline?
- Description of Rice Cemetery where Valentine Daniel is buried: Located on the Old Rice Farm at the mouth of Middle Fork, where Lick Fork and Middle Fork Creeks empty into Jenny's Creek. Better known in recent years as the Dick Rice Farm at Russell Rice Store. Cemetery is on the left side of the Store building.
- Try to find Old Ward Cemetery, Offutt, Johnson County, Kentucky USA where Major A. Daniel and Brilla are buried. Also said to be at the mouth of Banjo Creek.
- Mary Jane VanHoose's father was Valentine VanHoose, wife Jemima Borders. His father was John VanHoose. There is a grave as well as Revolutionary War Plaque in Paintsville. Click on all the photos at http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=53522455. Also here are the directions for John VanHoose's grave: 37º 52' 22.61" N 82º 41' 55.51" W I know it is in the woods. You can see where a road did go up the hill but hill side has slid over half of it. You have to park on the side of the road and walk up the hill. It gets steep at times
- Look at Chapter 15 of the Clayton Cox book for descendants of Jemima Borders to to gather more information about her children especially Mary J.
- Update John J. to John V. per the death certificate and his headstone. Update dates from the headstone. Include photos.
- Add cemetery photos for the other folks I found in July 2015.
© Bobby Daniel