William E. Daniel and Sarah Cathern Wright
Table of Contents
- 1. Thank You for Visiting my Site
- 2. Quick Facts
- 3. Establishing William E. Daniel's Lineage
- 4. Establishing Sarah Cathern Wright's Lineage
- 5. Marriage
- 6. Their Life Together
- 7. William's Early Death
- 8. Cathern as a Widow
- 9. Sources
- 10. To Do List
Thank You for Visiting my Site
- The chart at the top is interactive. See the legend describing the various icons and their functions.
- If I state a fact I can substantiate there will be a photo or reference to a source. Almost every photo can be clicked to view a large image or in the case of census records, the whole census page.
- If I state a fact with no image or reference then I have not yet personally checked that fact, but received it from someone else.
- Every reference number can be clicked to view an image of the reference and that image can often be clicked to view a larger image.
- And last, please leave comments or contact me (the button in the footer of every page).
William E. Daniel and Sarah Cathern Wright are my Great Grandparents
These things were happening in the world around 1885:
1882 Billy the Kid fell to Pat Garrett's bullet in New Mexico Territory.
1882 Edison and his associates threw the switch on the Pearl Street power plant and delivered electricity to the homes of 60 subscribers in lower Manhattan.
1883 Standard time zones are adopted nationwide to coordinate rail schedules.
1886 Statue of Liberty is dedicated (Oct. 28)
1888 George Eastman releases the box camera (The Kodak). After customers took 100 pictures they mailed the unopened camera to have the film developed.
1889 Indian Territory in Oklahoma was opened to settlement 50,000 settlers make the Land Run.
1890 First criminal electrocuted was William Kemmler in Auburn Prison in Auburn, NY. Sitting Bull was killed in a Sioux uprising at Wounded Knee, SD in the last 'great Indian Battle'.
1890 Diesel engine patented.
Lulu died on 29 Aug 1905. (3) I've been told her grave is on a ridge top in Prestonsburg, Kentucky. Her parents are listed on the 1900 and 1910 census in Prestonsburg.
William married Sarah Cathern Wright on 10 Apr 1907 (4) in Morgan County, Kentucky and they had four children together between 1908 and 1914.
When Sarah Cathern Wright was born on February 11, 1885, her father, William Jasper Wright, was 34 and her mother, Syundusta Yates, was 27. Cathern had her four children with William by the time she was 29. She died on May 22, 1976, at the age of 91 and was buried in the Daniel Cemetery, Peddler Gap, Morgan County, Kentucky. (5)
Establishing William E. Daniel's Lineage
Establishing Sarah Cathern Wright's Lineage
The photo below is from the day of their wedding. I've been told that the woman on William's right is probably his sister Mary and then her husband Tom Jeff Conley. The white bearded man in the front row has got to be William Ellington Bond and his wife Nancy Lipps. William E.Daniel's daughter Mollie would be 2 years, 4 months old. Could the woman to William Ellington Bond's right be Mary Victoria Bond, his daughter, wife of General Farmer Daniel and mother of William E. Daniel, holding Mollie? That would make the man to her right, General Farmer Daniel. Where is William Jasper Wright, Syundusta Yatesor Sarah Cathern's brothers and sisters?
Their Life Together
- Walter Francis Daniel, my Grandfather, was born on 25 Feb 1908, died on 15 Sep 2006 at age 98 and was buried in the Daniel Cemetery, Peddler Gap, Morgan County, Ky. He married Mintie Hill on 14 Apr 1929. (6) (7) (8)
- Lula Ethel Daniel was born on 24 Dec 1909, died on 1 Dec 2003 at age 93, and was buried in Montgomery Cemetery, Morgan County, Ky. She married Mace Montgomery on 23 Sep 1925. (9) (7)
- Polly E. Daniel was born on 7 Mar 1912, died on 2 Aug 1996 at age 84, and was buried in Daniel Cemetery, Morgan County, Ky. She married Woodrow Jenkins on 5 Jun 1935. (7) (10)
- William E. Daniel was born on 19 Feb 1914, died on 7 Aug 1998 at age 84, and was buried in Daniel Cemetery, Morgan County, Ky. He married Italy Mae Wright on 20 Aug 1937. (7) (11)
So William and Cathern were attending the same church when William married Lulu in 1903. I can not find Lulu's name in the 1901-1908 Lebanon Church minutes. When William and Cathern married in 1907 they were both members of Lebanon United Baptist Church and had been attending for several years.
Below is a very neat letter written to brother M. T. which is probably Morgan Tennessee Daniel. Peter was another brother and A. G. might be his brother Augustus Daniel
In the 1910 census William is 26 and Cathern is 25. Mollie from William's first marriage is living with them and is 5 years old. Walter is 2 and Lula is less than a year old. They rent their home.
William's Early Death
I have actually come across another death certificate for William. It has an earlier File No and a lot of the information is different including the place of burial as Paintsville which we know is not correct. Maybe the later one was a corrected death certificate. I don't know.
William was originally buried in the cemetery where his mother's father, William Ellington Bond, was buried. His grave was later moved to the Daniel Cemetery, Peddler Gap, Morgan County, Kentucky. My Dad helped move the grave. He told me that moving the grave was the idea of William's youngest son William. He obtained the permit and he, Raymond Daniel and my Dad moved the grave. (19) (5)
Cathern as a Widow
In the 1920 census Cathern is a 35 and a widow. She owns her home and can read and write. All 4 of the children are listed. Cathern is living near her brother Noah Morgan Wright and his wife Frona Smith. Noah Morgan dies on 12 May 1927 and the 1930 and 1940 census still show Cathern living next to Frona (Frony) Wright. Mollie Alice is not listed.
Before William's death I know they were living on Birch Fork, probably near present day Gray Branch Rd. On the 1900 census when he is living with his parents they are living on Birch Fork. William's grandfather, William Ellington Bond is living nearby as well as David Bloomfield Daniel. David Bloomfield Daniel is buried just below the road behind a barn on the old Mace Montgomery home place. I also know that David Bloomfield Daniel gave the home place to Mace Montgomery in return for taking care of him in his old age and giving him a decent burial. (20) (21) (22) (23) So William E. and Cathern were probably renting from one of his relatives before his death.
But in 1920 Cathern is living at the head of Upper Sandlick, Morgan County, Kentucky. Cathern hired a lawyer and sued the mining company receiving a settlement said to be $10,000. That was a lot of money in the 1915-1920 time frame.
William's parents took Mollie to live with them in Scioto County, Ohio. Mollie was 10 when her father was killed. My father told me that Mollie wanted to stay with Cathern and Cathern wanted her to stay. I don't know any more than that. In the census below Mollie is 15 and listed as a grand daughter. She is living with her grand parents, General Farmer Daniel and Mary Victoria Bond.
In the 1930 census Cathern owns her home and her children Polly and William E. are living with her. Her son Walter had married Mintie the previous year and he and his wife are living with Cathern. She is living near several of her relatives including her parents William Jasper Wright and Syundusta Yates.
Sarah Cathern died on 22 May 1976 and is buried beside her husband in the Daniel Cemetery, Peddler Gap, Morgan County, Kentucky.
List of All Sources Referenced Above by Number
Some of these may have been displayed in the text, but most were not
(1) Family Bible of William E. Daniel with birth date for William E. Daniel
(2) Marriage Books, Prestonburg, Floyd County, Ky with marriage date for William and Lulu
(3) Family Bible of William E. Daniel with birth date for Mollie Alice and death date for Lulu Hyden Daniel
(4) Marriage Books, West Liberty, Morgan County, Ky with marriage date for William Daniel and Sarah Cathern Wright
(5) Headstone for William and Cathern with birth dates and death dates for both
(6) Headstone with birth date, death date and marriage date for Walter
(7) Sarah Cathern Daniel Bible with birth and marriage dates for all her children.
(8) Marriage certificate for Walter F. Daniel and Mintie Hill
(9) Headstone with birth date and death date for Lula.
(10) Headstone with birth date and death date for Polly
(11) Headstone with birth date and death date for William E.
(12) Lebanon United Baptist Church Minutes 1901-1908
(13) Lebanon United Baptist Church Minutes 1901-1908
(14) Lebanon United Baptist Church Minutes 1901-1908
(15) Lebanon United Baptist Church Minutes 1901-1908
(16) Lebanon United Baptist Church Minutes 1901-1908
(17) Lebanon United Baptist Church Minutes 1901-1908
(18) Lebanon United Baptist Church Minutes 1901-1908
(19) Death Certificate for William
(20) David Bloomfield Daniel and Family Graves
(21) David Bloomfield Daniel and Family Graves
(22) David Bloomfield Daniel and Family Graves
(23) David Bloomfield Daniel and Family Graves
To Do List
- Where is Lulu Hyden buried
- Death certificate for Lulu Hyden
- Newspaper article maybe in the Big Sandy paper about the accident.
- When did Mollie Alice die
- Where did Lulu live before marriage? Did she go to church?
© Bobby Daniel